Five myths about gun control
In this Washington Post piece on December 21, 2012 (apocalypse past), Robert J. Spitzer — distinguished service professor and chair of the political science department at the State University of New York College at Cortland and author of four books on gun policy, including “The Politics of Gun Control”–tackles five myths about control:
- gun control is a losing battle for Democrats (the NRA has not been able to elect pro-gun candidates and gun control is not that salient an issue);
- guns are deadliest as murder weapons (no, guns facilitate far more suicides than homicides);
- American schools have become shooting galleries (no, schools are remarkably safe and getting safer);
- gun control laws are incompatible with our Western heritage (gun control laws have been around as long as guns have); and most significantly,
- the Second Amendment was adopted to allow rebellion against government (no, it was adopted to allow armed state militia to suppress insurrections!!!).
For the full article, visit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-gun-control/2012/12/21/6ffe0ae8-49fd-11e2-820e-17eefac2f939_print.html. Spitzer is available at email@example.com